Monday, April 16, 2012

"Spring" Cleaning, Part I

I just call it “de-cluttering” because it should probably be done more than once a year… especially in my house. I am going to split this post into 2 parts because there are a lot of (hopefully) helpful tips.  The first part includes the basics to get you thinking and to start the motivation. The second part I’ll post tomorrow and it separates the task by room and section of the house.
<><> <><> <><>
*This is not my pantry, but, MAN, do I wish it was! Awesome organization!*
Photo from Google Images (stagetecture.com)


Part I
Do you like to clean and organize? Some say “yes”, but I bet there are many who say “Heck no!” However, just about everyone likes to have things cleaned and organized.  You can hire someone to do it and pay them lots of money.  OR, you can get off your lazy hiney and do it yourself!  Truth in love, people.

I am not a natural born cleaner or organizer, but I do love the look and the feel I get when things are where they need to be, and I have room in my house to walk around.  I’ve had to learn along the way how to OVERRIDE THE LAZY to see the results I want.  And it feels SO good! But I don’t create extra work for myself, I just do the basics.

Useful “Spring” Cleaning Tips for Beginners:
1.       Start Slow.  Now is not the time to be an over-achiever.  You cannot set a goal to have your entire house done in one day.  You will get overwhelmed, come to a screeching halt, and nothing will get accomplished.  One room at time over a span of a few weeks is the way to go.

2.       Begin with a room that you are in EVERYDAY.  Like your closet.  Once you complete the closet, and are completely thrilled with the neat and clean feel, you will be encouraged to continue the process to other areas of your house.

3.       “Junk Drawers/Boxes” DO NOT and SHOULD NOT exist.  Having one is just asking for trouble.  My sister (the Guru Extraordinaire of Organizing) has taught me well.  Everything in your house should have a category and a home. Ex.) Nail clippers do not go in a random bathroom drawer.  They need to be with other nail grooming supplies. Give the poor thing a home! There are many organizers you can use for your drawers that establish homes for various items.
  • If you absolutely HAVE to have it and it doesn’t have a home, make one for it. Use baskets, boxes, or other organizers. 
Two Rules of De-Clutter:

1.       If you haven’t used it in ONE YEAR, get rid of it. This doesn’t include memorabilia.  So, if you haven’t worn it, seen it, used it, didn’t know you had it….CHUCK IT! Give it to GoodWill, or another local charity or thrift store. It’s an excellent tax deduction, just keep your receipts. Other options:  If the item(s) is(are) still pretty, you can consign it.  If you just want to make quick cash, have a yard sale.

2.       Don’t buy more hangers.  If you find yourself hunting for a hanger, you can easily find it by taking another article of clothing off of one.  Before you buy new clothes, go through your closet to free up space. (The Guru taught me that one too!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment