Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Air Travel with an Infant

“Spring Break” for me will now equal “Trip to New York”.  I have visited my sister, Christia, for the past two years now, and it has been such a blast.  I love sister time.  There’s nothing like it.

Last year, I was pregnant.  This year, I took my 7 month old.  The two visits could not be more different.  It’s amazing how things can drastically change in 365 days! Through trial and error, I now know what to do and what not to do; what to bring and what not to bring. Most importantly, I have discovered a new meaning to “go with the flow”.

What to do and What to bring:



1.       If you are departing from a large airport (like ATL), arrive about 2 hours before your flight because you have NO idea what will happen. Departing at a small airport (like SWF), an hour before is plenty. 

a.       My experience:  When I got to the ticket counter in ATL, they had my name wrong in the system.  I spent 30 minutes trying to have them fix it so I would be able to go through security.  I left New York a few days later from a smaller airport (SWF).  When I got to security in SWF, I got a full-on pat down because I had unopened baby food pouches.  Woohoo.

2.       Wear your baby.  You need to have two hands for check-in and security, so use a Baby Bjorn or another carrier. 

3.       You are allowed to check the car seat (at the ticket counter) and a stroller (at the gate) for FREE! With your car seat, go get a travel bag for it.  Well worth the money which wasn’t much.  I got mine at Babies R Us, and I’m so glad I did. 

4.       Don’t put your baby in a stroller until AFTER security.  If he/she is in a stroller before, you will have to take him/her out, fold the stroller, and place it on the scanning belt. 

5.       Know where the “family” bathrooms are nearest to your departing gate.  You will want to change your baby’s diaper right before boarding.  Surprisingly enough, there aren’t any baby changing tables in the regular bathrooms.  Sad. I learned the hard way.

6.       Put your baby in a one piece.  It’s easier to change them when the time comes.

7.       Let your baby crawl around as much as possible before boarding the plane.  It gets cozy once you’re on board, so letting them stretch and be mobile is CRUCIAL!

8.       If you use formula, either buy the pre-made kind in travel bottles, OR pre-make the powdered kind.  I promise… you do not want to be shaking up a bottle and spew formula all over your neighbor.  Plus, it’s easier to take off the cap and serve.

9.       Make sure your baby is drinking a bottle or sucking a pacifier when the plane takes off and when the plane is landing.  It prevents the nasty ear ache/popping. 

10.   My Diaper Bag Essentials for Travel:

a.       2 Bottles with Formula/ or Breast Milk

b.      Back-up Formula (if needed)

c.       Baby Food pouches (if 4 mos and over)

d.      Blanket

e.      Ziploc Bag with an outfit change in case of emergency

f.        2 Bibs

g.       Extra Pacifiers

h.      Hyland’s Teething Tablets

i.         Infant Tylenol/Advil

j.        Diaper Cream

k.       Diapers and Wipes

l.         Face/Hand Wipes or Baby Safe Hand Sanitizer

m.    2 Favorite Toys

n.      My Things (phone, wallet, and lipgloss)

11.   Final Thing: Hair pins set off the metal detectors.  I had about 20 in my hair and had to take them all out….it was traumatic.  Just kidding. But seriously, I had no idea it would set off the alarm.

So, that’s it.  Knowing a little bit in advance about how to air travel with your baby makes the world of a difference.  However, you can’t plan for everything.  Be patient and always expect the unexpected, like the a/c not being on AT ALL during flight.  Yep, it happened to me.  Also, don’t be afraid to dance in the plane aisles with your baby to quiet them down.  The other passengers will not only have entertainment, but they will also appreciate a quiet baby over a screaming one.
Cayden getting ready to fly!




0 comments:

Post a Comment